upgrade Joomshopping to version 4
Lately I had to update a (very) old installation of Joomshopping© for a customer of mine, because there is not a lot of documentation about this, I decided to write a 'How To' hoping it can be usefull.
So here the quick guide about how to update from Joomla! 1.5 and Joomshopping 2.x to Joomla! 3.1 and Joomshopping 4.x.
You can read this in Italian Aggiornare Joomshopping alla versione 4
Before you start upgrade JoomShopping
- the starting Joomla! 1.5 & Joomshopping 2.x working installation
- a Joomla! 2.5 new & clean installation. without nothing installed: you need it only to upgrade Joomshopping
- the final Joomla! 3.1 working installation, with Joomla! 1.5 data migrated, especially users & groups, but WITHOUT Joomshopping
- upgrade packages from: http://www.webdesigner-profi.de/joomla-webdesign/joomla-shop/downloads/updates.html?lang=en
- old distribution packages from: http://www.webdesigner-profi.de/joomla-webdesign/joomla-shop/downloads/archive.html?lang=en
This operation, even if it doesn't require to be a programmer or a sysadmin, is not very easy so, please, pay a LOT OF ATTENTION when you have to drop db tables!!
This is the detailed procedure to update Joomshopping:
- back up Joomla! 1.5 installation. (these are information to back up: mysql dump, /components/com_jshoppinghopping/files & /components/com_jshoppinghopping/templates directories)
- install all upgrade packages from your Joomshopping version to Joomshopping 2.9.7, this is needed to keep operative the Joomla! 1.5 installation
- save all #__jshopping_* tables from Joomla! 1.5 database to a file
NOTE: '#_' is the prefix tha Joomla! uses to identify its own db tables (in old Joomla installation it, usually, is jos_ )
- install Joomshopping 3.2.7 on the clean Joomla! 2.5
- drop all #__jshopping_* tables from Joomla! 2.5 database
- import #__jshopping_* previously saved tables from Joomla! 1.5 database
- install all upgrade packages from your Joomshopping 3.2.7 version to Joomshopping 3.14.3 on Joomla! 2.5
(really: you have to install only the packages with a sql file, this because you need the db updated, not a working Joomla! 2.5 installation)
- install the upgrade package from 3.14.3 to 4.2.2
- save all #__jshopping_* tables from Joomla! 2.5 database to a file; now you can delete Joomla! 2.5 installation, better if you wait till the end of process ;)
- install jshopping4.2.2 on Joomla! 3.1
- drop all #__jshopping_* tables from Joomla! 3.1 database
- import #__jshopping_* previously saved tables from Joomla! 2.5 database (now you have your working new site)
- upgrade from Joomshopping 4.2.2 to the latest 4.x release
- get shop images (products, categories, manufactures): move or copy /components/com_jshoppinghopping/files from Joomla! 1.5 installation to the Joomla! 3.1 one.
- final check: user association. we need to check that the relation between shop's users and Joomla! cms's users is still valid
run this query on both Joomla! 1.5 and Joomla! 3.1 databases. the returned recordset must match
SELECT js.`user_id`, js.`u_name` FROM `#__jshopping_users` js LEFT OUTER JOIN `#__users`jm ON js.`user_id` = jm.`id` WHERE jm.`id` IS NULLThis query reports the users present in the shop but not in the Joomla! system, so is better if an empty recordset is returned!
In this article we have only dealt with the update of the core component; of course, in a migration process, you will need also to update any template and any installed module or plugin. But in this case, the operation is confined to install the new versions on the new Joomla! platform.